So, Im doing sculpture for this lot of my course (as well as some art theory essays, fun). Anyway, I made these little guys yesterday and only got the images online tonight.. The objective of the project was to do a pile of experiments around using wax and string to create, it is an investigation into materials and concepts. These are just 2 of many I worked on, but these also happen to be the 2 pieces I chose for the submission of the project (which isn’t for another 4 weeks).. I had also played with bamboo skewers and paper last week (which I spent today expanding on into cardboard and sticks/twigs and so forth..) Onto the good stuff…
How I made it –
The kraken was made by adding string to a metal eggcup, the wax was dripped in from
an old candle and then left to set.. The base was filled part way into an old canning lid
and then left to semi set, whilst this was happening the exisiting piece was dipped into
the wax and cooled in the fridge as well as being drawn into whilst still drying.. When I
was happy with it I put it into the canning lid and then filled it the rest of the way, it was
then placed in the fridge to set.
How I made it –
The hyperbolic piece was made by first crocheting a hyperbolic sample in crochet thread,
the way I made this was by increasing each stitch, as each layer of the ‘plant’ was
created it took twice as many stitches to complete the round.. I added wax to the same
lid as the previous piece and then placed some sewing thread in there for roots of the
plant, after that I placed in the crochet, filled the lid some more and then spooned some
wax over areas of the crochet, not all of it was covered and then it was done…
I hope you like them, I had made up a little story to go with them.. But I’ve left it out for now..