After finding out this morning that the post I had written a couple of days ago is not sitting in my drafts folder I am trying to recall what it was I had written… A few days ago when I was extremely sick and sore, I decided that taking the lappy to bed as a distraction was a great idea, I was right. After laying in bed days before mostly sleeping I had become a little bored and stale, not to mention I felt guilting that my course work was sitting there not getting any further along its path to completion, I decided to do some research on molas and reverse applique as that is a project that is coming up, unsuprisingly there was little information other than technical details about how to do certain things. Now that was great but I had the theory down already.. I wanted something more.. something inspiring or that gave me ideas how to do things or what could be done with it, after a hour or so of searching I came across a most fantastic treasure trove of applique and quilting genius…
I had stumbled into someones blog http://spiritcloth.typepad.com/what_if/ which I had gotten a fantastic experiment of reverse applique, it was so simple but so fantastic at the same time, instantly I realised that I had been overthinking my project and what i needed to be doing with it. Jude Hill has kindly placed her projects and experiments online for people to see how she works and the techniques she uses. Which is a fantastic treat to find, her main site is http://spiritcloth.typepad.com/ the first link is the experimenting ground I find both of these places to be extremely inspirational and insightful!
So having been inspired and having trees on the brain as usual (there is just something about trees that I adore) I decided to give various techniques I had seen on the previously mentioned site and other places a try, which has ended up with this little gem here, the base fabric for the pieces is starched unbleached calico, I starched it as I found it was a little to soft to work with with out distorting it too much, I have a spray bottle filled with water and a medium starch mix which I simply spray and iron. I decided that I would just wing the tree panels as I got to them though by the time I got to the fourth I found my mind on cherry blossoms and various other trees.
As some of the fabrics seem to be too similar I have decided that I will also employ Jude’s quilt coloring technique in places, to color the sky or if a print isnt the right color such as the middle panel of the 3 joined ones, which the trunk will be darkened with brown thread and the tree will be made greener with green thread… I am really looking forward to finnnishing up this project and seeing the end result.
I am not sure if I will turn it into a hanging quilt or leave it as a mini quilt… I think I like the idea of turning it into a wall hanging because otherwise it will just get lost somewhere in the pile of other things.. 🙂